Thursday, June 26, 2014

Game Master's need breaks too! Thrassia, the continent of the eldest families

        I may or may not add a picture to this post, most of this only calls for writing and explanation. Greetings one and all once again! I keep skirting by, posting within the next week, but perhaps not  the next week when it comes to a 7 day week...erm well that aside this is most definitely curtailed to my players whom wait with avid excitement and brimming anticipation for the next game, they are coming! I was going to say winter is coming, but that doesn't fit perfectly into this post, though winter is my more enjoyable season so more games would abound then. In any case there are some days where I sit quietly staring at my map, thinking and contemplating the next step, there are days where I play video games, incessantly. Suffice to say my thoughts are predominantly on expanding and extrapolating on my world, Entrathia! Though coming out with the latest and greatest games to tantalize and entice you, oh avid players, is not an easy task. You see, there are many many many many many many GM's whom have a small haphazardly made map, a few notes here and there, a computer paper page filled with hooks and plots, and that's all she wrote, as a manner of speaking. With each twist and turn the players take, the GM twists and turns right back, as a reed in the wind, bamboo bending to the gusts and flurries. And then there's GM's like me...I was once a GM whom swayed and twisted, formed and changed alongside the players, keeping my story on a story by story evolution, having some notes and so on. Now, I am still in a certain way very much like this, as I cannot have everything in stone or I would surely explode from the stress and anguish over players going their own route, I have learned VERY quickly that ALL GM's, and if they deny this they are damned liars, all GM's keep things somewhat vague and up in the air, in order to sway and bend with the story. (This does not include Pathfinder Modules or pre-made scenarios, exclude that for now) Now as I was saying I bend and sway, yet also I now have a fully formed world, one and a half continents currently in production, and many more being thought up and worked on as much as I am able or willing. With this static world, with towns, cities, monuments, canyons, mountains, and all manner of things within, there comes a responsibility to create a cohesive and determinate timeline and setting and people. THIS.IS.NO.EASY.TASK! Now before you attempt to prove me wrong or believe I take this WAY to seriously (and I certainly may falter on the latter, that is something I accept), here are a few things my mind begins to get jumbled on when I think of making said cities and things related. Oh that's a cool name for a city, Port City Nerux, it's kinda like Neelix from Star Trek Voyager, and that guy was the tits! Oh oh oh oh, and inn's and taverns must be made and quickly...oh crap but then when were they founded? And have any interesting things happened in those past instances, whom used to own it, was it sold or part of the original settlement that became the Port City Nerux, and what vagabonds and villains have been berthen here? How about during all those great wars? What did they do? Did they stand idly by or did they take up arms? Did they just stick it out and bar tend to the next conquering armada? Is the tavern chaotic Neutral? Does the tavern master give a feck if evil bastards come through or are they thrown out right quick? Does it have a cellar with rats in it? That's too damned cliche, how about kobolds, Why in Earus' name would there be Kobolds down there? Is there a sewer entrance? Is that done too much? Maybe it should be something else? A secret tunnel, maybe they tunneled in through a natural cave nearby? That's a long ways to go, maybe the Tavern Master knows and is hiding something, has this been a constant thing hiring less than savory creatures to be down in the cellar, what's the point? Maybe they loot foolish tavern goers, maybe this tavern is chaotic neutral, or evil for that manner. Do the guards frequent this place? Or is it just patrons? Or maybe they have a legendary brew....or perhaps are looking for one, what are the quests, religions, people, places, things things things!!! ...........Yup, that's literally about a quarter of my thought process.....on an inn, a singular inn...yup. HAH! I gotta say I did chuckle slightly at that. SO what does this all pertain to? Why, GM breaks of course, while some GM's can keep on gaming and gaming and gaming and gaming, as if they were immortal and didn't sleep and had 500 heads and shat fire, I unfortunately do none of those things, save for a lot of super hot chicken wings the night before causing the latter...:3. So alas there may come a time, and I mean this as VERY rarely, as if it were a 'mew' under that damned pickup truck you had to tip over rare! I may need to take a week or two, sometimes three, in order to gain my bearings and catch up on everything I am so behind on. Now, this is never to spite you lovely players, NEVER, rather it gives me time to improve the world, expand on topics, sort out all that mess going on up in my noggin, it's quite the mess. While on my break I will play video games, watch movies, digest foods and books about fantasy...that eventually inspire me, usually, and all sorts of things; though rest assured I am and will work on this when I am done breathing and have taken enough notes to get something down on gods damned paper. So, Game Master's need breaks too, and we most certainly will take one, this is not out of anger or being tired of you, the players, it is to catch up and expand on the world we've created, and it will almost always be about that. This world will never be finished, I've come to an understanding about this, I may get every damned year written out for Entrathia, but the future, as they say, has no limits. So there will always be things need doing, and I will endeavor to do said things, and in the end, we will all enjoy it all the more for that, at least I sure as fuck hope so :D.
        THRASSIA! Just roles off the tongue doesn't it? Well this section will be very much smaller than the last as I don't have a whole lot on Thrassia yet, but that, and Alsanaan, and the old eastern continent the Seigi No Ha-ans....ins......eans......yeah, where the Hidden Empire natives came from. That one in particular I'll dedicate a massive post to, as that continent where the Hidden Empire people originated from is quite a doozey of an epic place, something we'll all get to enjoy soon enough, trust me! As for Thrassia, what I can tell you is that it is the continent is where supposedly all sentient beings, well... Elves, Dwarves, Men, Orcs, and so forth came from. As for the veracity of said statement, perhaps we'll have a neolithic game someday, that could be fun, be part of the very first progenitors...hmmmm. Also in Thrassia, what is accepted fact is that the eldest family names dwell there, and they are immensely powerful, they control a large amount of the wealth and commerce that is traded throughout the shores of their lands and Eharlith. Oh, and Thrassia is home to dragon riders, something which will be oh so epic to doll out, I look forward to that game, and like winter, it is coming soon! ....ish. Well after I manage to finish most of Alsanaan, which I should get back to, I believe I'll probably finish Georamia, so as to have the entirety of the massive continent of Eharlith, Alsanaan, and Georamia, which are all on the same land mass, completed and I will then be working on the next big thing. So much to do, so little time, literally, makes that GM break all the more prevalent, in any case I wont bitch too much, and look forward to when I have more done and ready to have you guys enjoy thoroughly, or at least hope you enjoy. With the creation of all these lands and backstory and the millions of other things, I am only doing this because, A. it's fun and we all love it, B. I want you guys to have a GREAT and memorable experience, C. I love drawing maps, I'm a cartographer at heart. Well then, that Thrassia section was short and rather disjointed, but my mind is foggy, and I think it's high time I veg out and maybe chomp on some chocolate. I hope this helped to, once again, give you some insight as to why I do what I do, and perhaps some things which help you be better players, or GM's?! Who knows right :).
As always
Till next post, Roll your D20
Ryan
    

No comments:

Post a Comment