Saturday, August 29, 2015

Gm'ing is thirsty work!

I would suggest Mount(ain) Doom drink :)

        SO! Little known fact about me, I have been GMing now for...about 10 years, and have played table top RPG's for about 14. I have certainly run into my fair share of pitfalls. Is my game too challenging? Are the characters original, or another set of cookie cutter cliche's? Did I remember to wear my deodorant, gods know I've been to enough cons to know what happens if I shouldn't... 
        Yup, so with that I've always looked to improve my gaming experience and my GMing experience. I've tried a whole mess of different ideas. There was a time I threw the Deck (the one all DnD players know of) at the group on a regular basis...and oh did my plots go in every damned directions. Good days of learnin, and the learnin never stopped. SO I've read a great many books and so forth on how to GM, not to mention the plethora of blogs and how-to's online. Even after a decade of trial and error I still look to advice and suggestions, even from people whom call themselves noobs. Everyone has good points or at least interesting points to make and, though lately I've been a bit lost emotionally and ambition wise, I try and absorb every damn bit I can. NOW, this leads me to this post. There's this book, that frankly every GM should have in their bag of holding. (If you don't have a bag of holding you are sorely missing out my friend!) 
        This book, "The Lazy Dungeon Master", never was there a more comprehensive or fantastic novel which breaks down what every GM should endeavor to do. With a motley assortment of bullet pointed lists, examples, quotes and methods from renowned GM's, this little booklet certainly holds its own. I chatted with a certain GM friend of mine who has a tendency to illustrate his encounters a little too much and we both agreed this is a highly necessary read for all Game Masters, and players honestly. 
        I had the fortune and privilege to read this as a gift from my father, in part because I'm a broke GM that still tries to run games regardless of monetary concerns, and partly because my father is an avid player. The author is not only a GM aficionado but gamer for many many years. Also the man has quite the pull with different renowned GM'ers out there and so not only does he offer easy to read advice (but in no way elementary) but backs most of it up with experience or outside voices.
        This book may have come 10 years into my GMing passion but it plays a pivotal roll in every game I host. Don't over-prep but have outlines, don't stratify your story or bog it down with rail set points but keep it open enough to work with the punches the players throw your way. (figuratively speaking of course) Obviously I'm not going to reiterate every point on this book, as it would be blatant plagiarism and that's just not my way, but only want to emphasize the enormity of its impact. This book shows itself to be a very advantageous spell tome of plot enforcing fun while at the same time keeping with the brevity that all games should have. Every GM'er should at least give this a try, while every player would benefit in delving into what game masters go through to produce entertaining games. 
        Gamers, players, Game Masters and interested readers as well, I highly recommend this reading. Well that's about all I have to say on the matter, as for myself, I'll be seeing you all at Pacificon this labor day weekend. Stop by my game: Druids of the Exiled PT 2 and 3 and say hello and hang around if you'd like. I won't have this book on print, unfortunately, but I will have it in pdf form on my laptop! 
        Well, as usual roll your D20,
        Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment